CJ - Bitcoin Specialist – 12-07-2022
A white hat hacker received the greatest bug bounty ever offered by Coinbase. However, the sum paid has sparked disagreement among cryptocurrency investment enthusiasts, with some claiming that it was too little considering the potential damage caused by the flaw.
Tree of Alpha, a white-hat hacker on Twitter, revealed how they discovered the flaw on the Coinbase exchange. An attacker might use this flaw to sell Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies on Coinbase without really possessing any. This may be accomplished simply altering the product id. By exploiting this flaw, Tree of Alpha was able to execute deals.
The white-hat hacker made an effort to exchange 50 BTC for just 50 SHIB by performing a coin swap. The order was successfully filled. The attacker was able to buy about $2 million worth of Bitcoin for less than 2 cents worth of Shiba Inu.
"For my final test before reporting this, I did the following: -send 9M SHIB to my Coinbase account – change source account id to my SHIB account on Coinbase – post a 50 BTC limit sell order using 50 SHIB – ask individuals around me whether they are seeing it as well," he explained.
The white hat revealed his discoveries on Twitter and requested that Coinbase contact him. Coinbase was able to avoid a catastrophe that may have crippled the cryptocurrency exchange platform thanks to its rapid response. The bug bounty has angered the crypto community.
The white-hat hacker received a $250,000 bounty from the trade. The bounty sum instantly stirred debate in the crypto world, with many claiming that Coinbase was being cheap by awarding such a payout to someone who had assisted the exchange in avoiding its greatest vulnerability to date.
One user even hoped that after studying the problem, the hacker retained part of the large Bitcoin purchase. "I hope he took a LITTLE simply as extra compensation because $250K is fuck all to a company like Coinbase," the commenter commented.
Many people were surprised to learn that the highest bug bounty ever awarded by Coinbase was $250,000. Given the exchange's enormous value since going public last year. Besides that, decentralized exchanges (DEXs) with significantly lower trade volumes award prizes in the millions of dollars.
Dear valued BC Bitcoin UK Clients,
I hope this email finds you well. We are reaching out to inform you of some significant changes to our services that directly impact our operations within the United Kingdom. Regrettably, due to the recent regulatory developments introduced by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the implementation of the new Financial Promotions Regime, BC Bitcoin is no longer able to offer our services to clients based in the UK. This very difficult decision is in compliance with the regulatory framework and ensures that we uphold the highest standards of transparency and legality. You can view the FCA publication here: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/finalised-guidance/fg23-3.pdf As a result, we would like to inform you of the following changes and provide guidance on how to manage your assets with BC Bitcoin:
1. **Service Termination for UK Clients:**BC Bitcoin will no longer be able to accept new purchase orders from clients residing in the United Kingdom.
2. **Continued Operation Outside the UK:**Despite the changes within the UK, BC Bitcoin will continue to operate outside of the UK as normal. Our services will remain unaffected for clients in other regions.
3. **Withdrawal of Assets:**For our UK clients holding assets with BC Bitcoin, we want to assure you that your assets are secure. You have the option to safely withdraw your assets or exchange them to GBP or EUR and subsequently withdraw. We have streamlined the withdrawal process to ensure convenience for our clients.
4. **Conversion of Assets:**To convert your Holdings to fiat please log in to your BC Bitcoin account and submit a sell order for the amount of coin you hold with us. During the process you will shown how much you will receive and asked the bank details you wish to receive payment to. In addition, you can request the conversion by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org from your registered email address. If you encounter any issues or require assistance, our customer support team is ready to help you throughout the process.
5. **Withdrawal Procedure:**To initiate a withdrawal, please email your request to email@example.com from your registered email address. You may be asked some security questions to verify your identity. If you encounter any issues or require assistance, our customer support team is ready to help you throughout the process. These changes are effective immediately, and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transitional period. We understand that this may be an inconvenience for our UK clients, and we sincerely apologise for any disruption this may cause. Thank you for being a valued part of the BC Bitcoin community. We are committed to providing you with a seamless experience as we navigate through these regulatory changes. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer support team at firstname.lastname@example.org Kind Regards